River Murray Works Unit - Assets Database
The NSW Office of Water's River Murray Works Unit is responsible for the management
of the 200 km stretch of the River Murray between Hume Dam near Albury and the upper
reaches of Lake Mulwala near Yarrawonga. This significant stretch of the River Murray
is part of a major river erosion control and streamside restoration program, involving
a diverse range of works.
The Works Unit face major challenges with managing the spatial and attribute information
about their river works, along with the various communications with landholders
regarding when and where works can take place. ESS has provided advice, technology
and customisations for over 2 years to assist with managing this data and for producing
'on-demand' summary reports describing the work completed.
Through use of web-mapping and database management, ESS has provided the Works Unit with a single, accessible place for storing all their information, including:
- communications with landholders;
- spatial extent of the works installed;
- detailed attributes about the works;
- maintenance-focussed forms; and
- monitoring forms.
As a result of this data management approach, the Works Unit are now able to:
- quickly produce reports that describe and summarise the status of their assets;
- enter works information into their database 'in the field' via a 3G connection;
- share information between different members of the Works Unit; and
- see a complete picture of their assets in one, easy-to-navigate place.